Poisonous vegetables: You should never eat these vegetables raw

Poisonous vegetables: You should never eat these vegetables raw


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Vegetables are healthy! So it is always said. There are also enough vegetables that are toxic, at least when raw. You can find out what they are here.

What is toxic and what is not? Do you know it?

Even as a small child, you are taught that you should eat a lot of vegetables because it is very healthy. What many forget, however, is the fact that there are also some varieties that contain toxins. However, these varieties are not fundamentally toxic, but much more only when raw.

For example, mostly only raw food ends up in a smoothie. If you do not know which of these are toxic or not, you risk not only diarrhea or vomiting, but in some cases severe convulsions and even a collapse. Who wants that? To prevent this from happening, here are the types of vegetables that you should never eat raw.

Symptoms of poisoning from raw beans


Quite apart from the fact that raw beans do not taste good: three to ten uncooked beans, regardless of whether they are green, yellow or purple varieties, are enough to make you feel the effects considerably.

The protein phasin is contained in bush beans and runner beans. It leads to cramps, vomiting, diarrhea and fever, in the worst case even to circulatory collapse. The insidious thing about phasin is that it passes directly from the intestine into the blood and thus ensures that the red blood cells clump. However, anyone who cooks the beans prevents the effects of phasin, as it is sensitive to temperature.

Depending on the thickness, you should cook the beans for at least 10 to 15 minutes, then the protein is harmless. For recipes with shorter cooking times, for example in a wok, the vegetables should be pre-cooked.

Raw potatoes: look closely!


Raw potatoes without green spots are not necessarily dangerous, but are also not considered to be really edible. The starch contained in the uncooked state has a negative effect on the stomach.

The green spots and germs, which often form due to incorrect storage on potatoes, are much more critical. This is solanine, which is not tolerated by humans. Cut off the green areas generously, then you can process the potatoes as usual. If the green areas show up inside the potato, you'd better throw the potato away.

Green Tomatoes - Really Always Harmful?


Tomatoes are usually ripe when they are red. There are often green spots around the stem that you simply cut off. Again, it is solanine, which is not destroyed by cooking. Solanine causes headaches, nausea, cramps and vision problems. However, these symptoms only occur when eating large amounts. However, since green tomatoes have a slightly bitter taste, it can be assumed that large quantities will not be consumed.

Incidentally, tomatoes from your own garden ripen well in your room when the weather in autumn is no longer favorable. However, there are also tomato varieties that remain green when ripe.

Only eat eggplants when they are ripe


Aubergines, like potatoes and tomatoes, belong to the nightshade family. Solanine is included in unripe fruits, so it is better to keep your distance until the eggplants are really ripe. This will not be difficult for you, because the bitter taste alone will keep you from eating it.

Eggplants with a deep purple color can be eaten without any problems since the solanine content is lower. So just let the unripe eggplants ripen a little, then you don't need to worry.

Rhubarb: raw and sour makes you sick


Rhubarb contains oxalic acid. The acid disappears when cooking. Raw rhubarb causes vomiting and circulatory problems. If you eat uncooked rhubarb often and in large quantities, you can get bladder and kidney stones. This is due to the fact that oxalic acid binds certain minerals. If the rhubarb is blanched, the acid content is already reduced, the blanching water should be dumped away and not used anymore.

Pumpkins and zucchini: Be very careful with a bitter taste


Courgettes and pumpkins are usually edible raw (even if this makes little sense with hard pumpkin meat). In some types of pumpkin and zucchini, so-called cucurbitacins may be present or may form when overlaid. The poison remains even after cooking, it is heat-resistant and not water-soluble. You can recognize it by the very bitter taste - under no circumstances eat, neither raw nor cooked! Cucurbitacine can lead to death. Be sure to do a taste test before cooking and eating. A little bit is enough. If you notice a bitter taste: put it away!